- Our Services
- Case Study: Webquote
- Case Study: Claims Manager
- Case Study: Bank Remittance System
- Case Study: Internet NHS website
- Case Study: Utilities for Data Analysis
- Case Study: Bankmaster and BM+ solutions
Intranet Claims Management Application
Project Description - Claims Manager
A FTSE 100 client required the rewrite of an old MSAccess application. The new intranet application was to replicate existing functionality and add additional requirements. As the application was 'live' the new intranet version had to migrate current data. The live data had to be converted from 4 Access databases into MS SQL 2005. As database structure and functionality were not identical it involved using SQL Server Migration tools. Claims Manager allows dissenting shareholders to be found and credited with any oustanding cash, shares or dividends.
Written in ASP.NET & C#, using nHibernate to generate SQL. Also incorporates SQL scripts and SQL Server Migration.
One of major problems with this project was ensuring that existing business processes were replicated but also that daily work flows were not interrupted. The MSAccess application would be in use up to the go-live date. After the client approached us to deliver a more robust, secure and efficient application we were given examples of the 4 MSAccess databases that we needed to replicate, and merge, into an intranet application. We created a functional specification and re-designed the database. We also investigated how the data migration was to proceed and what tools would assist us in this process
Once the specification was agreed development commenced. There were distinct areas. Merging the MSAccess database functionality, adding new functionality, creating the MS SQL database and data migration. The new application replicated existing functionality but with major efficiency improvements. We also eliminated the database shortcomings removing database lockings and erroneous record creation. When dealing with the data migration we had to script the process to make it as fast and easy as possible for the clients IT staff to run. We had to have a little downtime as possible so the process needed to be time efficient. We analysed the existing database to rectify any anomalies, used MS SQL Server Migration Tools and wrote additional scripts to import the data, accounting for any new requirements.
Once development was completed a test site was created for the client to give their initial feedback and begin testing. This also allowed both parties to confirm bugs and fixes. We also completed unit testing and created test plans, which we gave to the client, so they could see what we had tested. Testing was not performed by the same developer so a different 'set of eyes' were cast over the application. The migration was tested on multiple environments, 4 test & 1 UAT, prior to go live.
Fairmort staff were on site when the application went live. The entire process took 2 hours, including migration and post go-live testing. This was comfortably inside the clients accepted downtime. The application was fully documented, which was not available for the previous MSAccess databases.